Get ready to create unforgettable memories & new friendships!
Here are some highlights of what you can expect on this years tour
Our August Family tour has been curated to appeal to a multigenerational audience, whether you attend with your children, a group of friends, retired family member or a couple needing a get away, this trip will have something for you. Believe us we've had all the above all at once on our summer tour.
In knowing that the majority of the people who attend our tours live in the city we've created this experience to ignite a deeper connection to nature. We'll have the opportunity to relax on pristine black and and white sand beaches, hike two unspoiled jungle National Parks to view monkeys, sloths and toucans to just name a few of the fascinating creatures we'll be spotting. We'll have the pleasure of exploring a magical jungle healing spa/garden to learn the properties of local medicinal plants with one of the areas most knowledgeable Afro-Costarican naturalist/healers.
There's a movement to get city dwellers to know where our food comes from, well on this trip you'll have plenty of opportunities to do just that! We'll visit a black owned organic artisanal chocolate farm where you'll learn the process of how we get from cocoa bean to chocolate bar. We'll finish the day with organic chocolate brownies and plenties of goodies you can purchase to bring back to family and friends!
Want more organics? We'll take you to a food forest to taste touch and smell some of the most exotic tropical fruits you've never heard of from our friend and expert indigenous farmer. We'll also get to milk his goats and taste some of the tastiest organic goat cheese. To top it off the Caribbean Coast has some of the best food in the country, the flavors of the Caribbean Islands will delight the palate!
This area is the most culturally diverse in Costa Rica. There's a mix of Afro-Caribbean, indigenous Tico, and foreign culture that mesh together. Over the past 7 years the Duende Naturál team has nurtured relationships with community leaders and elders to grow our project organically. It's part of our mission in our small way to help support local African Caribbean businesses.
When you attend our tour you get the benefit from our connections to meet the community in a way most tourists don't experience.
Looking to spice things up, try something new? You'll have the opportunity to experience a number of exciting local activities: zip line, river and ocean kayaking, snorkeling, hiking, swimming in a waterfall, horseback riding and many others!
Cost of Trip
August 12-20, 2017 [9 days/8 nights] - $1500.00 [*$1350.00 Early Bird]
Children 6-12 - $1167.00
Children 3-5 - $1008.00
*10% Early Bird Applicable to Adults Only. Ends May 12, 2017
Final Payment due July 12, 2017.
We will arrange a monthly payment plan.
**This is a family friendly trip**
**Black Land Matters REIC members get 15% off all our Costa Rica trips!
We will be meeting at and leaving the San Jose (the capital) international airport (SJO) by 2pm. We ask that you plan to be on a flight that will land in San Jose by 12 pm Saturday, August 12. Our bus will depart at 2 pm. Your flight home should be no earlier than 2pm on Sunday, August 20.
If you want to arrive and/or leave a day or two earlier, please let us know how we can help you experience more of this magnificent country. You are welcome to book earlier or later flights which we can help you find transportation at your cost. Day trips from San Jose include the nearby volcanoes of Poas and Irazu.
Blessed House is an Eco lodge set on a lush 2.5 acres property with a pool perfect for sunbathing, cooling off from a vigorous tour, or just sitting and enjoying the natural environment as well as a hot tub and sauna. A wonderful blend of natural landscaping surrounds the lodge with an outdoor kitchen, dinning area & game room. The property is set on the side of a small mountain with a hiking trail which leads to the observation deck with a breath taking panoramic view of the jungle and the ocean!
In various activities, we use the best local specialty guides with years of expertise in introducing tourists to the natural beauty & culture of the Caribbean Coast. We work mostly with local guides as well as with tourism non-profit organizations such as ATEC, which make sure that the local indigenous communities benefit from tourism revenues while protecting the environment and the traditional way of life.
All Duende Naturál Tours are an experience to raise your awareness and to educate you about the lowland tropical rainforest, cultural heritage of the Afro-Caribbean & Indigenous communities as well as sustainable land implementations which are practiced in this region. Our guides will do their best to share their knowledge and interpret the great diversity of life forms in their natural setting. Transportation. We provide all transfers during the week. An air conditioned van or minibus, driven by a bilingual driver/guide.
Before departing, you will receive a comprehensive list of suggested things to bring on the Caribbean Experience in your Welcoming Trip Packet.
Great! How do I sign up?
To reserve your spot on the trip, register and make your secure deposit of $300.00 USD per person via Paypal HERE.
Once we reach the minimum needed and call the trip, the $300.00 deposit becomes non-refundable — we need to enforce this policy in order to cover loss from last-minute cancellations.
No refunds are provided on Duende Naturál Tours. If you cancel your attendance before July 12, 2017, no refund will be provided. Duende Naturál offers a one time transfer which is available up to 30 days before departure date of your original date. To qualify for a transfer, your original tour must be paid in full for your original booking. If you transfer to a trip of lesser value, the difference will remain as a credit with Duende Naturál towards future travel. This program is available on all trips unless otherwise stated during registration.
If you cancel your attendance after July 12, 2017, no refund will be provided.
*Please note that trip itineraries are subject to change due to weather and other conditions*
Please feel free to forward this info to any friends of yours that might be interested in joining us for this trip.
The cost of the trip includes
• Transportation and transfers to and from all locations in Costa Rica by a guide/driver.
• Full accompaniment by a Duende Naturál staff person.
• 8 nights of accommodations at the Blessed House Eco lodge outside of the town of Puerto Viejo.
• Meals included in trip: 4 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 5 dinners each week session.
The cost does not include:
• Traveler insurance
• Alcoholic beverages
• Tips and gratuities
• Extra Adventure Packages (Zip lining, Snorkeling, and Kayaking)
• 9" x 6" Tour recap photo book (mailed 6 weeks after. You can choose to order at registration.)
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca is a mix of beautiful beaches, delicious food and nice night life. It is definitely an international beach. The Afro-Caribbean and the reggae culture is strongly influential in the region. Music lovers will enjoy dancing salsa, reggae, and all rhythms. Puerto Viejo has a huge beach for surfing with many opened- air bars. Puerto Viejo beach comes from Playa Negra, Salsa Brava, and Cocles beach to Uvita seashore.
Our tours are organized by Duende Naturál, the company was founded by a group of friends from Brooklyn, NY, that has been captivated by the unique beauty and magic of Costa Rica. We make a concerted effort to patronize African Diaspora and indigenous business owners by forming personal relationships with local providers and community organizers on the Caribbean Coast [tour operators, restaurant owners, activity outfitters]. In this way we are able to offer unique natural and cultural experiences & support the local community!
If you cannot make it on these dates, but would like to plan a visit alone, with a small group of friends or a romantic getaway with a significant other - we can help you plan that trip as well with our local Costa Rican associates & guides.
For further information and questions, please contact us at:
Duende Naturál Tours
US: +1 (516) 500.1874
click to download flyer
Scheduled Daily Agenda
~ Subject to change due to weather and local factors ~
Sat.12 (Day 1): Arrive at San Jose Airport
• Our bus leaves San Jose Airport Terminal at 2 pm to Puerto Viejo. A Caribbean lunch will be provided.
• Dinner on the property will be prepared by our talented friend Rasta Chef Christian (estimated arrival, 7 pm). We’ll take some time to check in, have a question and answer period, and get acquainted with each other.
Sun.13 (Day 2):
• (Morning) Family Meditation & hike to observation deck On our first morning we'll take some time to have a morning meditation on the lush grounds of the property. Then we'll take a short 10 minute hike to the observation deck with spectacular views of the Caribbean sea & surrounding jungle.
• (Afternoon) Organic Chocolate Farm
Experience the roots of Afro-Caribbean chocolate farming.
This exceptional black owned organic artisanal chocolate farm is situated at the top of a hill with breathtaking views of the ocean. We'll learn the process of how farmers get from cocoa bean to chocolate bar and we'll finish the day with organic chocolate brownies and plenty of goodies you can purchase to bring back to family and friends!
Mon.14 (Day 3): Rescue Center
• Spend the morning at the Jaguar Rescue Center, located in Puerto Viejo. The center rescues and rehabilitates wild animals for future release back into the wild. Here, you will learn about the large variety of animals in the Caribbean region.
• Hike Manzanillo National Park and ocean side cave. At the southeast corner of Costa Rica lies the unspoiled Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge, stretching to the border of Panama. Home to monkeys, sloths, a great variety of birds and much more. The area is rich with wildlife. It is also spectacularly scenic with cliffs, hidden beaches and caves along the water.
• Beach time at Manzanillo beach.
Tue.15 (Day 4): Food Forest
• Roberto has a true passion for sustainable farming and loves to share his vast knowledge of these practices. Here we’ll hike to his families abundant food forest, milk his goats, taste the most scrumptious goat cheese and eat some strange and delicious fruits you most likely never heard of.
• Well spend the afternoon relaxing in the Afro-Costarican town of Cahuita at Playa Negra, a black sand beach that's very popular with the local community.
Wed.16 (Day 5): Duende Property: #BlackLandMatters
• (Morning) Hike Duende Property
Take a drive to our pristine10 acre property in Punta Uva where you’ll see the initial phase of our Eco-lodge and Intentional Community project.
• (afternoon) Waterfall
To round out the afternoon we’ll take a short ride to a magical secluded waterfall to cool down!
Thu.17 (Day 6):
• (Morning) Cahuita National Park
One of our favorite places to visit! You’ll be amazed by the wide variety of wildlife and plant species you’ll come across. When you’ve completed this amazing hike, take a swim and relax on the white sand beach which surrounds the park. The snorkeling here is also amazing!
• (Afternoon) Healing Garden Spa
Spend the afternoon at a magical Jungle Spa & Healing Garden where you’ll be treated to an herbal sauna, jacuzzi and tour of Medicinal forest where you'll learn the properties of local medicinal plants with one of the areas most knowledgeable Afro-Costarican naturalist/healers. An added treat will be a chocolate therapy session where you’ll be given a bowl of organic hand ground chocolate pure body scrub.
Fri.18 (Day 7): Free Day
• Have your pick of what you'd like to do on this day, spend your day at the pool, do some shopping in town or experience a number of exciting local activities; zip line, river and ocean kayaking, snorkeling, horseback, ride an ATV and much more. (add. charge applies)
Sat.19 (Day 8):
• (Morning) Farmers Market
Spend the morning visiting the local farmers market where you can sample local products & purchase unusual and interesting items, as well as do some shopping at nearby boutiques as well as an optional jungle bike ride. (add. charge applies)
• (Afternoon) Punta Uva Beach
In the afternoon we'll have lunch at Punta Uva beach, named one of the countries most beautiful beaches where you can also experience snorkeling, scuba diving, paddle boarding and ocean & river kayaking activities.
Sun.20 (Day 9): Return Home
• Time to say goodbye to each other and this magical place... for now!! Return to San Jose, Bus leaves at 6am.
If you aren’t taking this bus you must make your own arrangements back to San Jose.